It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:37 am
Board index » Hair Removal » Laser Hair Removal Forum

Author
Search for:

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:03 pm 
I haven't posted my results so far in a while, so thought I would update. I have light skin (type II) and black hair (coarse on bikini and underarms, fine but dark on stomach). So far, I've had 3 treatments on my bikini and 2 on my underarms and stomach area. It is now 3 weeks post my last treatment. I get treated with GentleLASE by a dermatologist. Settings were 14 joules at 18mm the first 2 times and 16 joules at 18mm the last time.

So far, I've had about 99% removal on bikini and underarms. Those areas are getting the best results. Basically, almost everything shed during the first treatment on these areas except for very few sparse hairs. About 15% came back after 8 weeks, when I got another treatment. Third treatment was also 8 weeks after. Right now, it's been 3 weeks since the last treatment and I have about 6 hairs on each armit that were missed and maybe 10 sparse hairs here and there on the entire bikini area (I did everything around a thong). This is GREAT for me as I always had a shadow before after shaving and resorted to waxing because of that, which caused irritation at times and lots of ingrowns. I also think I have more hair than average, so this is amazing.

The stomach area had finer but still black hairs. Darkest at the happy trail area and lighter outside of that. I think about 70% of hairs there are all gone for now, especially all the dark ones. There are a few missed spots of lighter short hairs here and there that will need to get treated next time. It was hard to get them since when I shaved that area for the first time (I bleached before), the doctor couldn't really see where to treat, since unlike bikini and underarms, there was no sign of hair once shaved. I guess they are fine enough not to cause the shadow and the skin is thick enough there for no "seethrough" effect.

I'm glad to answer any questions if you have some. I am thrilled with my results so far and am planning on finishing all the treatments of course. I think this time, I will also wait a bit over 8 weeks for my next treatment to see if I get more regrowth and just because that's the best way to do it. As you get more treatments, they should become less rare.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:17 pm 
how long did it take for your hairs to shed after your first treatment? Its been about a week for me and I see no difference.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:55 pm 
It usually takes me about 2.5 weeks

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:39 am 
So, you got your stomach done, too eh? We're getting the same areas done, but I get electro on my stomach because I thought the hairs were too fine to get lasered. So your stomach hairs are just normal, fine skin hairs like, say the hairs on your arm, and they're just darker than you'd like? That's my situation. Interesting to hear that the laser can seek them out and zap them.
I'm getting bikini done, only regular bikini is not as much as everything today thinks it is. Put on a full-butted pair of NORMAL underwear, and anything you see outside that is what they do. Would've preferred a full bikini like you blink (around a thong I would say is full bikini, and brazilian is a step further than that).

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:02 pm 
Yes, the stomach area is exactly as you describe as well as other areas. So yes, I think we're getting the same thing done :). I was worried about marks on my stomach from electrolysis, so I decided to try laser there first. I've had 2 treatments there. The first one was just on the thin strip with the darkest hair above and below my belly botton. But after those shed, it just looked a bit unnatural since the hairs around that area stood out a lot more. So, during the next treatment, I asked the tech to do the entire area and a bit on top from my bikini line. He was really nice about it and charged me only $25 more than what I was paying already. I am definitely a lot happier with this. The shedding on this area is a bit slower than bikini and underarms and I get more pepperspots which I sometimes squeeze out since they come out pretty easily (I probably shouldn't be doing that). Right now, 3 weeks later, it looks fine. There are definitely more hairs left there than on bikini and underarms, but I've only technically had 1 full treatment on this entire area, so I am expecting even better results the next time around. I'll let you know how it goes.

How is electrolysis going on your stomach area?

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:24 pm 
It's going well...I mean we all know electro is a LONG process. I'm guessing I've had approx. 5 electro sessions, and you need to go consistently for about a year, right...Technically when you do the math, lasering this area would be cheaper. I just never thought the laser would be able to "see" the finer hairs. Plus like you said, it will miss some hairs that are just too light or fine to be "seen" by the laser, but this mght be OK since I'm really not looking for a bald line below my stomach, and then the blonde fuzz everywhere else on my body. I do not have any hormonal hair problems whatsoever. Just a bad run-in with a razor and some tweezers a number of years ago, so I'm looking to work that out. No matter what method I use, I need to be hair-free by January, so the heat is on! Maybe I'll ask the tech about my stomach today and have Stomach Session #1 when I get Bik & U-arms Session #3...good to know someone with a similar situation is having it done successfully though. Thanks.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:33 pm 
Might be worth considering doing 1 or 2 treatments on the stomach too and then finish with electrolysis. Might be cheaper overall..Plus electrolysis takes longer on the darker hairs, and laser gets those first.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:56 pm 
Thanks for posting all of this. My hair is very dark and thick on the areas i want GONE. So this is all very helpful and promising!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:52 am 
blink 888,

I have a similar situation in terms of hair on my stomach. I want to get laser hair removal done. The only thing is, they're mixed around w/ unnoticeable light hair. I actually have light hair by nature, but I started trimming my pubic hair and the hair on my stomach started to grow...and now it looks so terrible, I am afraid to even wear a bikini in front my friends.

Anyway,
how much does the removal cost for stomach hair, do you think, in total? What's a "normal" price for this procedure?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:52 am 
It depends on how much you want to remove, if it's just the line down your stomach or it goes out more. So depends on the area. I pay $75, but that's also because I get bikini and underarms done at the same time, so it's a bit discounted. I think the range is $75-150 per treatment and you will need 5-6. Laser won't affect the blond hairs. It only targets the dark pigment, so those will stay unaffected.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:05 pm 
i'm doing my lower stomach and it costs me 500. i have course hairs down the "happy trail" but around it the hairs are finer. she treats it the whole area for 500.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:50 pm 
$500 for EACH treatment? That seems a bit high. most places charge that much for a session on the entire man's back

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:37 am 
Ok I am just like Femme, in that some dark hairs are mixed in with fine, blonde hairs. It's fine that the laser only targets the dark hairs, since those are the only ones that bother me, BUT, since you have to shave the area before laser, what's gonna happen??
I KNOW that shaving hair causes it to become darker. Anyone who says shaving does nothing to the hair is wrong!! So since I have to shave the whole area, won't I end up making a big fat mess?? I'll end up needing more done becuase the fine blonde hairs I shave will grow back darker!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:28 am 
I don't understand why people would think that shaving makes your hair darker? I have been shaving my forearms for 8 years the top is light brown but the sides are blonde; I shave everything and guess what? MY HAIR COLOR HAS NEVER CHANGED the top is still dark and the sides are still as blonde as they were when I was 16!! Also the texture of my hair is completely the same...fine hairs. I would be more worried about waxing or plucking because we know they can change color and texture of hair. If I were you I would shave a very small area of blonde hairs you have for a week or so and see what happens....I am betting nothing. If your hair is changing its because of hormones not shaving.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:53 am 
I have to agree. Shaving doesn't change the color. You would need to remove it with the root for that. Unless you think the roots are dark and the hair that's showing has been bleached blond over the years by the sun etc. But I shaved my stomach area for the laser treatments I've had so far, and the parts that are growing back are exactly the same.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:58 am 
no i pay 500 and that covers all the sessions 5-8 sessions and after that for a full year if there is any regrowth.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:04 pm 
oh ok. that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:54 pm 
Time to follow up on my treatments. I had another treatment today and decided to try LightSheer with another doctor in the area. This time, I went to a doctor in Beverly Hills. He used to be a gynocologist/general medicine doctor and now does skin procedures including hair removal. His prices are very reasonable from what I found and since I didn't have great results on my stomach since my hair is finer there, I decided to try LightSheer and another doctor this time. I paid $99 for bikini, $50 underarms, $59 stomach.

This was my 4th bikini treatment, and 3rd on underarms and stomach area. I waited 10 weeks since my last treatment this time since I didnt have anything grow back (on bikini and underarms) 8 weeks into it. Now at 10 weeks, I had a bit of very fine regrowth on bikini and underarms (maybe 10% at most and VERY fine compared to old dark coarse hair), but most of the fine stomach hair did grow back.

LightSheer was used very differently from GentleLASE. The feeling when the hair is killed is pretty much the same, but the technique was different. LightSheer is more of a rolling treatment on the skin, while GentleLASE was separate "hits". I can see how it is much easier to miss spots with LightSheer if the tech is not experienced. Also, with LightSheer, there was a stream of cold air the whole time, while with GentleLASE small amounts of cold "hits" are released right before the laser beam "hit". My skin looks absolutely fine. The redness was gone within half hour on stomach and underarms, and just a bit longer for bikini. The doctor used a longer pulse on my stomach since the area was just a bit tanned. The settings were 26 joules on bikini and underarms (shorter pulse) and 33 joules on the stomach (longer pulse).

I'll give another update and comparison after the shedding process in 2 weeks or so.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:19 pm 
Just giving a quick update.

So the results with LightSheer weren't stellar. I'm actually disputing the charge with my credit card because I think it was sort of a waste of money. I think maybe 20% of already a small amount of sparse hairs here and there shed after that treatment. A BIG discrepancy from my 80-90% results with GentleLASE, even at lower settings.

So, I just had another treatment with GentleLASE with my original doctor. This is #5 on bikini, #4 on underarms and #3 on stomach. We used considerably higher settings this time, 30 Joules at 12mm spot size on all areas. (compared to 14 or 16 joules at 18mm spot size the first several times)

Everything seems fine so far. The areas got red and had red bumps around the follicles, which is a good sign. The hairs that were left on bikini and underarms were sparse and fine, so hopefully this will be the last treatment on those areas. I expect to be going in for a few more treatments on the stomach area. I'm curious to see how well these settings worked on this area which is a bit more difficult to treat because the hair is much finer there.

I'll give another update in 2-3 weeks, when shedding is complete.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:23 pm 
Hi all,

Time for my update. So, my last treatment was with GentleLASE 3 weeks ago. This was treatment # 5 on bikini, #4 on underarms, and #3 on stomach. At this point, the shedding has finished and I think I am done with bikini and underarms. I would say I have 95% removal on those areas, being conservative and judging from what I see now, which is 3 weeks after treatment and right after shedding. Technically, right now it's more like 99%. I did have coarse black hair on those areas and very pale skin. The results are amazing.

The stomach area definitely reacted much better this time around since 30 joules at 12mm spot size were used. There are still some pepperspots left, but overall the area looks much better. The hair trail right in the middle going down to the bikini area is almost completely gone since it was the most coarse and dark there. Probably 50% or so of the finer hair around that area got eliminated this time as well. I will probably have at least 2 more treatments on this area and will stay at 30 joules.

I think I will add the perenial area next time as well so that that entire bikini area is completely smooth.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:48 pm 
Hello all, time for my update.

I had another treatment about 1.5 weeks ago. This time I did just the abdomen area ($100) and added a perenial region ($75). GentleLASE again, 30 joules on stomach and 18 joules on perenial.

Since last treatment, most of my bikini and underarm areas are still pretty clean. There are about 30 very thin sparse fine hairs that grew in. I had 1 quick electrolysis treatment on underarms while I was in for my upper lip. Probably took care of 10-15 hairs on each underarm. Other than that, I'm really excited that I really haven't had to shave bikini or underarms since February. I'm currenly trying to decide if I should touch up those few fine 30 hairs or so on bikini and underarms with laser when I go in for touch-up on stomach or just treat them with electrolysis. Stomach area has been slowest in terms of results, but the hair there is fine compared to really coarse black hair I used to have on bikini and underarms. I'm currently in the shedding phase, so we'll see. I'm assuming I will need at least 2 more treatments on this area or so. I think the reduction has been about 50% there.

I'll update in a few weeks after the shedding is complete.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:04 pm 
Is gentlelase safe for the abdomen? Can it trigger increased growth like it can in the face?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:45 pm 
triggering increased growth is a very rare occurence and only in very rare cases on women's faces. usually, that happens only when very low settings are used by an inexperienced tech as well. no issues with abdomen. make sure settings are high enough no matter what area for good results though.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:01 am 
Just a quick update. It's been about 12 weeks since my last bikini and underarms laser treatment and about 5 weeks since my last abdomen and perenial (first in this area) treatment. As for bikini and underarms, there is a bit of growth there, but it's very fine and thin, nothing compared to my original dark coarse hair. You would have to look really close to see them, probably about 10% of total area. I did have a second electrolysis treatment on the underarms when I was in for my upper lip and nipple area, and that was a quick 10 minute session to take care of about 30 fine hairs on each side.

Now, the shedding is complete for abdomen and perenial. Both look good right now. Most hair has shed. Perenial reacted very well after just this one treatment. There are a few small missed spots, but everything else has shed, same as the rest of my bikini area. The hair was coarse and dark there as well. That area seems to work very well with laser, even on the first treatment. Abdomen is not perfect as usual, but definitely much better this time around. I would say there are a few missed spots, but for the most part, about 90% is gone. There are also some pepperspots in the area, but you have to look really close to see them. I squeeze them out sometimes (I know, not very good, but they bother me). If my skin was tanned, the area would probably look completely hairless.

That's all for now. Let me know if I can answer any questions. I am thinking of getting a touch-up treatment on a few spots on bikini at high settings since hairs are fine and the missed spots on perenial and stomach as my doctor said he will do all for $50. Then, I will continue electrolysis on underarms for the few sparse hairs since it makes more sense financially now and laser can't target those anyways.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:01 pm 
i'm just wondering how many treatments you had for each area, and how far apart they were.
thanks for the updates.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:36 pm 
5 bikini, 4 underarms, 4 abdomen, 1 perenial. in addition, i had 2 touch-ups on underarms with electrolysis on the sparse fine hairs that came out after the 4 treatments. I'm also getting electrolysis on the fine hairs on the upper lip and around the nipple area. I've had 4 treatments on the upper lip and probably around 6-7 on nipple area.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:13 pm 
Another quick update. Last week, I had a "touch-up" session on all areas I've treated. (underarms, bikini, perenial, abdomen). Underarms had about 40-50 hairs fine hairs each, same with bikini(especially mostly on the outer areas), abdomen and perenial area only had a few dime-sized spots that were missed before that we got. All areas were treated at 30 joules on GentleLASE. I'm waiting for shedding, will update later.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:57 pm 
thanks for all of the information. it seemed like you had a lot of different areas done. how much did you end up spending total? i have some dark hairs on my face that i pluck and now cause ingrowns and bumps. do you think i should do laser or electrolysis on those? they are thick coarse hairs and there are quite a few of them but its not as thick as a bikini area. i'm just worried about the horror stories i hear about it making the facials hair grow out of control with laser. thanks for the info!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:54 pm 
how many hairs would you say there are total? If it's 40-50 hairs or less, I would do electrolysis. On average, elecrolysis treatments are about $60/hr.

I paid for all treatments on "per treatment basis, no contracts". Here is what I paid per treatment:

bikini (everything around a thong and a strip on top) - $100

both underarms - $100

stomach/abdomen - $75 to start and then $100 since I expanded how much of that area was treated (it's above and below the belly button and about 3 inches out)

perenial - $75 (only did this once)

The touch-up I did last week cost me $175, that was for touch-up on all areas.

So, I think I spent around $1500 total at this point with about 5 treatments on bikini and underarms, 4 on stomach, and one perenial, and a touch-up.

Hope this helps.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:52 am 
Time for my update. It's been about 3 weeks since the touch-up treatment I had on all the areas I'm treating. Almost all hairs that were treated shed once again. Bikini area is clear, perenial is almost all clear except for a few missed single hairs here and there, underarms are also clear except for about 3 missed hairs on each side. The abdomen area looks pretty good. There are pepperspots here and there and I have a couple of what seem like ingrowns. I had some pepperspots on the sides and top of the bikini area and I couldn't help myself and squeezed them out. So, now it's clear :) I noticed very light short fine hairs on some parts of the abdomen, mainly above the navel. But you can only see these in VERY bright light. It'll be interesting to see how much of the hair on that area will come back. At this point, no completely sure if they were burned off or actually killed. Whatever hairs were coarse and black are definitely gone (basically the strip in the very middle of abdomen), the rest was pretty fine...so I wasn't expecting great results, but we'll see. So far they're gone for now.

I also decided I'm done with the laser treatments for now. I've had approximately 5 or 6 total, depending on the area. I actually went in and got a tan, and I have to say that everything looks even better with some color :) On my pale type II skin, you can usually see every little black hair and imperfection, but right now, everything looks completely hairless. Of course, it's only 3 weeks post touch-up :) So, we'll see what happens in a few months. I'm interested in monitoring what kind of growth I will see now after the initial set of treatments. As of right now, I'm very happy with what I see (which is basically no hair), but like I said, I'm 3 weeks post touch-up, so I'll have a better idea in a month or 2 or even later. I'll keep everyone posted.

(on a side note, electrolysis I'm getting on the upper lip and nipple area is going very well. It's been more than a month since my last appt and everything still looks good. I think I've reached a point where only a few more treatments will be needed. I have had approximately 10 treatments on nipple area and maybe 5 on the upper lip. I've never touched the upper lip before, only bleached, and the hair is fine. The hairs around nipple area are harder to treat because they were black and thick after plucking for a few years, but I'm getting to the point of there are only about 2-3 on each side now and pretty fine. I'm still probably in for another 3-4 electro treatments on both areas).

Profile WWW  

Board index » Hair Removal » Laser Hair Removal Forum

Jump to: